Lansing congregation is similar to an extended
family. Within our
community, senior members are cherished,
children are nurtured, youth
involved, parents are supported, and adults
worship at 10 AM on Sundays is informal,
Childcare is provided for toddlers and
We provide interactive Sunday school classes
for children, youth, and
September through May.
are known in the community for our commitments
to peace and justice.
In the past 20 years, the
Lansing congregation has
shared our sanctuary
with three other congregations who have rented
the space for their own
worship. For some of that time there
were 3 congregations
at different times on Sundays.
the 70's the congregation
settled refugees from Southeast Asia and
was active in the movement for
the 80's we provided
sanctuary for a large family from El
the 90's when Rich
Buckwalter, our co-pastor, was diagnosed
with ALS, the congregation
parsonages and put an elevator in the
church building to make it
for wheel-chair users and others.
During that decade we also
Network as publicly accepting and
affirming of persons with a
the 2000's, many of our members worked
with a local shelter for the
homeless. Several were active in
Disaster Childcare both locally
and nationally. One member was in
New York City doing childcare
for three weeks after the September 11
attack. We frequently
sponsored disadvantaged children for a
week at Camp Brethren Heights.
Lansing congregation first met as an
independent entity on October
7, 1928, following several years as a part of
The congregation's first church building was
located at 1229 E.
St. and was purchased from the German
Baptists. The current
on the corner of S. Washington and Loa Streets
was constructed in 1952.